- Location: Santa Maria Ixcatlan, Oaxaca
- Agave: Papalometl / A. potatorum
- Maestro Mezcalero: Amando Alavarado Alvarez
- Quantity: 305 L, March 2019
- ABV: 44.4%
- Batch PM06-19
- Tasting keywords: Pickle juice, leather, piloncillo.
- NOM: Uncertified
- Buy it today
Leather with a touch of lactic fermentation.
Soft with a very subtle touch of leather against tart pickle juice and mellow piloncillo sugars.
- Agave sources: Wild and cultivated A. potatorum.
- Roast: Earthen oven.
- Crush: Hand mashed with a mallet.
- Fermentation: In hanging rawhide skins.
- Distillation: Double distilled in clay pots.
Amando Alavarado Alvarez is justly famous. He works in the small town of Santa Maria Ixcatlan, Oaxaca and focuses on fermenting in cow hides which is an exceedingly rare and old way of making mezcal. You may have seen his mezcal under the Balancan label but 5 Sentidos imports the majority of his output in the US.