- Location: Potrero (Sola de Vega), Oaxaca
- Agave: Tobala / A. potatorum
- Maestro Mezcalero: Don Felix García
- Quantity: 450 bottles / 337 liters
- Batch: XX Anniversary batch
- ABV: 47.5%
- Tasting keywords: Dried rose petals, honey.
- NOM: O14X
Dried rose petals, simple syrup, dusty
Rich, enveloping without any cloyingness, real elegance here. Full of honey like sweetness a sensation of opulence with touches of subtle raisin and date sugars.
- Roast: Underground stone lined hornos
- Crush: Hand mashed in canoas
- Fermentation: Wild fermentation in oak tinas
- Distillation: 50 liter olla clay still
When Alipus started way back in 1999 it was a social impact project with the explicitly defined mission to “promote traditional producers and the terroir of their distinct regions.” They marked their 20th anniversary of working in Potrero which is up in the hills behind Sola de Vega with this bottle by Don Felix García which is fittingly an ensemble of the agaves that define the area, rendered by local traditions.
Today Alipus remains a standard bearer for traditional mezcals. In the US it is well represented by bottles like the San Andres which maintain an amazingly high median quality at surprisingly reasonable prices. In Mexico many more bottles fly under the Alipus flag and the brand also maintains some amazing mezcalerias in Mexico City.