UPDATE: Earthquake relief in Mexico
I don’t think any of us are able to wrap our heads around this second earthquake in Mexico – on the 32nd anniversary of the tragic 1985 quake no less. The images of collapsed buildings are horrifying and have left many of us in the mezcal community feeling utterly helpless, especially when we see how the residents of Mexico City and elsewhere have responded so whole heartedly. As someone who lives in an earthquake zone, I can only hope that I would respond with such generosity in a similar situation and that others around me would as well.
Once again we have compiled a list of verifiable organizations and links for donations. We are here to help in putting together fundraisers, get the word out, etc. We also are looking at how to turn Mezcal Week into a fundraising vehicle. Its timing of November 5-12 is too late for the immediate relief needs, but we know there are longer term needs in rebuilding the communities so hard hit by both earthquakes. We will keep you posted on that.
Here is the list of organizations that can accept donations from the US:
- Como Ayudar – A clearinghouse of several verified organizations doing relief work.
- Charity Navigator – Watchdog organization which has a list of verified organizations.
- Global Giving Fund – A fund set up to direct money to local organizations. The pdf on the website outlines the details.
- Direct Relief – A humanitarian relief organization which has a direct fund set up and staff in place in Mexico City to assist in efforts both short and long term.
- Topos MX – The volunteer team of rescuers. In case the website does not load you can donate via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org topos.mx
If you want to give to organizations specifically working on relief efforts in Oaxaca, we have that list here.
We are here to help!