A rundown of our top 10 stories from 2021
2021, the year time became irrelevant as days bled into one another and a fog seemed to surround all notions of what happened when. We even found ourselves scratching our heads and asking, wait, that happened this year? Luckily there is Google Analytics to remind us of what our most popular posts were this year and we narrowed the list down to the top 10, in what might be our first listicle post ever.
We were blessed to work with some really great contributing writers this year who brought nuance and perspective to important topics and themes in the world of mezcal. We are looking forward to bringing more voices to our Mezcalistas platform but good writing and strong content does not come cheap so please consider donating to our Contributing Writers fund. There are so many stories to be told!
Our top stories covered topics from celebrity brands to issues of sustainability. There were also personal essays as well as deep dives into production process and regulation, all of which supported our goal of bringing readers a more complete picture of what is happening in the world of mezcal and agave spirits.
The 10 most popular stories of 2021 (in no particular order)
- Finding the “right” mezcal by Susan Coss
- Journey to my Bacanora roots by Bryant Orozco
- The complicated situation of mezcal certification and regulation by Joahna Hernandez
- Farming the Istmo with agave by Susan Coss
- Sowing life for the future of mezcal by Joahna Hernandez
- Do celebrities matter? by Max Garrone
- What is rested mezcal? by Joahna Hernandez
- How the commercialization of Dia de los Muertos impacts Indigenous communities by Fabiola Santiago
- Is Mayahuel by any other name still Mayahuel? by Joahna Hernandez
- Setting a high bar for the mezcal menu by Susan Coss