No, not really, what was tasted is already gone but we’ve received a bunch of questions about our tasting over the past week so a few quick responses are in order about which mezcals are on the market, where to get items, and our future plans. First up we have to thank Ken Taylor for writing such a great wrap up of the event for the San Francisco Bay Guardian, he really captured the scene. We learned quite a bit from his piece because we were all so busy coordinating things so definitely give it a read. We’re already planning next year’s event so if you have feedback or ideas, we’re all ears!
We are proud that we were able to present so many new mezcals but working out the kinks in distribution and certification mean that you won’t see most of them in your local liquor store for a bit. We will definitely tell you when any of the following mezcals come to market so stay tuned. Here’s what we know right this second.
- Wahaka’s Espadín Botaniko and Espadín Manzanita should be available later this fall.
- Raicilla Venanosa should be available later this year.
- Real Minero, Rey Campero, Mezcal Sanzekan, and Mezcaloteca don’t have a release date yet.
- Mezcal Uasïsï doesn’t have a release date yet.
- Mezcalero #10 doesn’t have a release date yet.
- Mezcal Valvodinos doesn’t have a release date yet.
- Yes! You can buy Mezcalistas shirts here.
- Yes! You can buy John McEvoy’s book here.
- While Iván Saldaña’s book isn’t commercially available in the US you can read most of its content on the Anatomy of a Mezcal web site.
- The Artes de Mexico book on mezcal is available through Amazon.
- Yes! We will be doing more tastings. Some smaller, some larger. Subscribe to our email list to make sure that you don’t miss any announcements. While you’re at it follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook in order to get other notes about the wild world of mezcal.
- Adrian Vazquez, our friend and collaborator on Mezcal: Mexico in a Bottle has his own agave distillates tasting coming up October 3rd at the Clift. Check out the Indian Summer Tequila and Mezcal Tasting.