Batuq 2018 Blanco Tasting Notes
- Location: San Pedro de la Cueva, Sonora
- Agave: A. Yaquiana (Pacifica) – A. angustifolia ?
- Maestro Mezcalero: Rafael Quijada
- ABV: 44%
- Tasting keywords: Brine and pickled jalapeño.
- NOM: 168
- Buy it today (see purchase information at the bottom of this article)
Batuq beckons like a siren with rich and sweet aromas that make me think of sweet water from mineral springs. It telegraphs something that you want to drink instantly and provides a fantastic comparison to Oaxacan espadin because the agaves are closely related if not the same species reflecting different environmental conditions. Batuq is emblematic of the way Sonoran agaves reflect the light, sweet, and mineral elements while their Oaxacan relatives are much more focused on aromas of roasted agave sugars.
A rich combination of cinnamon and mineral climaxing in a lactic tang like pickled jalapeño. This is fuller and more of a mainline flavor than the 2019. Real, honest, and forward.