- Location: Santiago Matatlan, Oaxaca
- Agave: Espadin / A. angustifolia haw.
- Maestro Mezcalero: Gregorio Martinez Jarquín
- ABV: 45-46%
- Tasting keywords: subtle smoke, tropical fruits, cacao
Nose: Earthy, sweet and fruity aromas are balanced with just a kiss of smoke.
Taste: The flavor is robust with notes of charred grapefruit, tangy cacao nibs, and banana chips. The finish is long lasting with a hint of tobacco.
- Agave source: 100% sustainably cultivated agaves grown at an elevation of 5,500 – 5,900 feet above sea level
- Roast: Conical earthen oven
- Crush: Tahona
- Fermentation: Wild native yeasts
- Distillation: Copper still
A classic mezcal from Santiago Matatlan, Oaxaca, often considered the world’s most famous mezcal producing town, this all purpose bottling is a benchmark. As part of a project that seeks to show off the diversity of espadin from Oaxaca, this is a good place to start for anyone looking to sharpen their palates when it comes to blind tasting, as well as anyone looking to delve headfirst into the world of tasting the diversity of agave terroir. Gregorio has been crafting mezcal in the traditional ways in Matatlan for decades and has earned a reputation of respect for his quality spirits.